SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Breivik planned to publish own magazine

Long before last July’s dual terrorist attacks, confessed killer Anders Behring Breivik planned to publish a monthly magazine promoting what he described as cultural conservative views.

Breivik planned to publish own magazine
Photo: abcnyheter.no/Politiet

In police interviews, Breivik said he had wanted to found his own news organization to combat what he saw as censorship on the part of Norwegian media, newspaper Aftenposten reports.  

In January 2010, he contacted both the populist Progress Party and controversial news website Document.no to sound them out on possible collaborations.

Breivik, who killed 77 people in the July attacks, received a letter from the Progress Party rejecting his proposal.

Geir A Mo, the party’s then secretary general said he received five or six proposals of this nature per year and tried to respond to them all. He said he had no particular recollection of Breivik’s idea.  

“I can’t remember having any specific communication with this idiot, nor have I spent time trying to find out more,” Mo told newspaper Dagbladet.

Breivik also revealed to police that he had phoned broadcasters TV 2 and NRK in 2009 to complain about their coverage of suburban riots in Gothenburg, Sweden.

The 32-year-old right-wing extremist is set to appear in court on Monday for the final custody hearing before his trial begins in April.

Breivik set off a bomb outside government buildings in Oslo on July 22nd before embarking on a deadly shooting rampage on the island of Utøya.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS