SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Norway mulls one-man hospital for killer: report

Norwegian health authorities may be forced to build a one-man hospital for terrorism suspect Anders Behring Breivik if a court finds he should be placed in psychiatric care, according to a media report.

Norway mulls one-man hospital for killer: report
Photo: abcnyheter.no/Politiet

Staff at the high security Ila prison have taken strict measures to keep Breivik apart from other inmates since his incarceration there in July after the dual terrorist attacks that left 77 people dead.

State-appointed specialists have previously found Breivik to be criminally insane, meaning he will be placed in psychiatric care unless that decision is overturned on appeal.

But none of Norway’s existing psychiatric institutions are considered anywhere near secure enough to house the 32-year-old right-wing extremist, newspaper VG reports.

Not even Dikemark hospital in Asker, home to some of Norway’s most dangerous individuals, is thought to be secure enough to prevent a potential Breivik escape, the newspaper said.

According to VG, health authorities are examining the possibility of constructing a miniature hospital within the confines of Ila prison, where Breivik would stay on as the sole patient.

“It’s correct that we’re looking at a number of options that take into account both his safety and concerns for the protection of the community,” said Secretary of Start Robin Kåss (Labour Party), who declined to confirm specific details.

Breivik has admitted to setting off a car bomb outside government offices in Oslo before gunning down 69 mostly young people at a summer camp on Utøya island on July 22nd last year.

His trial begins in April.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS