Swedish mother probed over Breivik SIM find

A Swedish mother of two has been investigated over suspected links to Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik after a SIM card registered in her name was discovered in a mobile broadband device found on Breivik's farm.

Swedish mother probed over Breivik SIM find
Breivik's Åsta farm (Photo: Scanpix)

At the urging of police in Norway, Swedish police visited the woman at her home near Stockholm in late November to question her about the card, which was connected via a USB modem to a computer confiscated by police from Breivik's farm in Åsta, Norway, newspaper Verdens Gang (VG) reports.

The woman had bought the card, issued by Swedish telecoms provider Telia, in 2009 in connection with the purchase of a laptop computer. She was still paying for the subscription at the time of Breivik's July 22nd massacre, which claimed 77 lives.

“I do not want to comment on this," the woman told VG when questioned about the connection.

She called the situation "unreal", telling police she hadn't visited Norway in 15 years.

According to police, the woman explained that she had switched cards in 2010 after having trouble with her mobile internet connection. Her computer had also been repaired twice since she purchased it.

A Swedish telecoms expert told investigators that, while technically possible, it would have been extremely difficult for Breivik to have made a copy of the SIM card.

Norwegian prosecutor Pål-Fredrik Hjort Kraby also refused to comment on the reported SIM-card ties between Breivik and the Swedish woman, but confirmed for VG that police are continuing to go through the contents of Breivik's computers and hard drives.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.