Life in Norway For Members

EXPLAINED: What you need to do if you're moving from Norway

Robin-Ivan Capar
Robin-Ivan Capar - [email protected]
EXPLAINED: What you need to do if you're moving from Norway
Moving from Norway doesn't have to be complicated. Here are the key things you need to remember. Photo by Marco López / Unsplash

You've decided that you're moving away from Norway, but you're still trying to figure out what to do to make the transition to another country as smooth as possible? We've got you covered.


When it comes to moving away from Norway, timely planning and a short checklist can help you avoid a lot of headaches down the road.

There are different rules and best practices, depending on whether you're moving to a Nordic or a non-Nordic country.

In this article, we will cover the key things to keep in mind before moving so that you can regulate your tax status, social insurance, healthcare coverage, and other essential rights and obligations painlessly and efficiently.


Reporting to the Tax Administration and changing your address

The first thing you should do after you've decided you're moving away from Norway is to contact the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Even if you move from Norway, the tax authorities may still consider you fully liable for taxes in the country – especially if you have a significant connection to Norway. You can find out more about the tax rules that apply here.

Remember that you must contact the Tax Administration if you intend to stay in a non-Nordic country for at least six months.

After you report your intentions, the Tax Administration will decide whether to register your relocation as emigration in Norway's National Registry.

As for the paperwork, you can download the relevant form here. You need to send the filled-out form to the Tax Administration no later than 14 days before your planned departure.

Remember to submit a copy of a valid identification document (such as an ID card or passport) along with the form.

The Tax Administration will send you a letter when your case – and change of address – have been processed. The letter will be sent to the new address abroad you specified.

If you decide to change your address abroad at a later point in time, you will have to report to the Tax Administration on your own, either online or via form RF 1454 – Notification of new or changed mailing address (available here).

The situation is somewhat simpler if you've decided to move to a Nordic country (Sweden, Finland, Iceland, or Denmark (Faroe Islands and Greenland included), as, in that case, the relocation needs to be reported in the country you are moving to.

In such cases, you will be automatically registered as having emigrated from Norway if your notification is accepted in the Nordic country where you're moving.


Healthcare, social insurance, and unemployment benefits

If you're moving to another Nordic country, you will usually be eligible for health services in that country once you're registered in its population registry.

Note that if you plan to stay in another country for a short period of time, you might be able to keep your healthcare rights in Norway – under certain circumstances.

As individual circumstances differ, make sure to check with HelseNorge about the rules that apply in your case before you move abroad (available here, in English).

When it comes to social insurance, your membership in Norway's social insurance scheme generally stops after you relocate.

If you're moving to a Nordic country, and you have some earned social insurance and unemployment benefit rights in Norway, you can sometimes transfer these rights when you move, combine them with the rights earned in the country you're moving to, or continue receiving social insurance benefits paid from Norway after you move.

Make sure to check which rules apply to your individual circumstances with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV) well before you move. You can find out more information here (website in Norwegian).


Property and housing

Make sure to check your contracts related to property – regardless of whether you're renting accommodation or if you own a flat or house.

If you're renting, remember that you must give your landlord notice in line with the contractual deadlines before you move to avoid paying financial penalties.

If you plan to sell or rent property in Norway, make sure to double-check all the aspects of insurance coverage with your insurance company, as well as all the tax obligations that apply to your situation with the Tax Administration.

Bank accounts and postal services

Contact your bank(s) and notify it that you're moving abroad so that you can close bank accounts, change your address, and regulate the status of any loans you might have before you leave the country.

Don't forget to set up post/mail forwarding – or have the post redirected to friends or family after you leave. You can contact the Norwegian Post Office directly and let them know that you're changing addresses (forms are available here).


Contracts and subscriptions

Norwegian households tend to have many subscriptions, from gym and streaming services to newspapers and TV/phone/internet packages.

Don't forget to end all subscriptions and other service contracts before you move – if you know you won't be using these services outside of Norway.

Customs and import fees

Most people moving to another country take at least some personal goods with them.

Make sure to check the customs regulations in the country you're moving to so that you avoid any unexpected expenses.

Furthermore, if you plan to take your vehicle with you, take the time to find out which rules and regulations apply to the import and registration of vehicles in the country where you're relocating.

You can find more information on the export of vehicles from Norway on the website of the Norwegian Tax Administration (available here in English).


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also