Driving For Members

What are the rules for using a foreign driving licence in Norway?

Frazer Norwell
Frazer Norwell - [email protected]
What are the rules for using a foreign driving licence in Norway?

Norway has some of the most spectacular driving roads in Europe. However, it’s also quite remote, making a car essential for getting around. So, what are the rules for driving with a foreign licence in Norway? 


Whether you live in Norway or are planning a trip to the Nordic country, having a car will be essential to get about unless you are planning on staying in the bigger cities. 

Whether you can use a foreign licence depends on two factors: how long you will be staying in Norway, and where your licence was issued. 

If you have a valid driving licence from an EU or European Economic Area/EEA (EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) country, you can use it in Norway for as long as you like. 

Whether you’re visiting for a road trip or planning on settling down in the country, you will not have to exchange an EU/EEA licence for a Norwegian one. 

However, you can still choose to do so if you think It will be more convenient for renewal and identification purposes. 

READ ALSO: How to exchange your licence for a Norwegian one

If you’ve exchanged a non-EEA licence for an EEA one, then the rules for non-EEA licences will apply. 


Non-EEA licences

In Norway, you can typically use licences from non-EEA countries for up to three months before you have to exchange for a Norwegian one. 

If you have a residence permit of up to six months and a valid employment contract, then you can use a licence for the duration of your stay. 

Driving licences issued in the UK are treated as ones from within the EU, even if it was issued after the UK left the EU. 

Depending on where you come from, you may need an international driving licence to get on the road in Norway. This applies if it was issued in countries not a part of the Geneva and Vienna driving conventions, doesn’t have a photo, or is written in an alphabet other than the Latin one. For example, if the licence is printed in Arabic or Japanese, you will need an international licence. 

If you need to exchange your licence after three months, you may be required to take a test. 

Unless you have a licence from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Israel, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, United Kingdom, all states in the USA, Switzerland, Greenland, or Japan, you’ll need to obtain a Norwegian licence under the same rules as first-time applicants. 

This means you will need to complete compulsory night driving instruction, first aid and behaviour in the event of an accident training. This is on top of the requirement to pass a theory and practical test.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also