SHARE
COPY LINK

TERRORISM

Norway charges man for planning terror in Denmark

A 24-year-old man from Norway’s Telemark county has been charged on three counts of being an accomplice in planning terror attacks.

Norway charges man for planning terror in Denmark
File photo: Mads Claus Rasmussen/Ritzau Scanpix

The attacks would have taken place in locations including Denmark and London, Norway’s national broadcaster NRK reports.

The man was apprehended after chat messages were discovered in which he planned the attacks with a second, unknown person, according to the report.

He has also been charged with being connected to the Islamic State (Isis) terror group.

Public prosecutor Geir Evanger said that police in the UK were able to thwart a planned attack in London and that another attack was planned in Denmark, both by the suspect.

“Charges have been brought against a person for three attempts at participating in terror (attacks),” Evanger told NRK.

The charges against the man relate to his activity online, rather than physical terror activities, according to the prosecutor.

“We believe that this is part of the new form of participation in Isis. It is based on sharing extremist material, violent material and material with religious content,” Evanger said. The prosecutor added that police consider the man to have acted as an administrator for a large number of extremist online communities.

Police also suspect the man of sharing Isis propaganda and other material produced by the terror group.

According to the official charges, he shared instructions for making petrol bombs in the chat messages and said that Denmark would become “the new France”.

The attacks in Denmark were planned in March and April 2019 and would have been committed by one or more Danish national, according to NRK’s report.

The man is also suspected of making a video in which he encouraged others to commit violent attacks in Denmark.

The charges against him could result in a 21-year prison sentence if he is found guilty, according to police.

The 24-year-old, who has been in police custody for some time, denies the charges.

Terror, cyber-attacks and espionage: These are the biggest threats to Norway’s security

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS