Prime Minister Erna Solberg confirmed the decision after the camp was hit by a devastating fire on Tuesday night.
“We will begin the process now. We clarified that this morning after we saw the pictures,” Solberg said according to NTB.
Norway already had plans to take in refugees from the Moria camp on Lesbos, according to Solberg.
“A directive for this was ready to be sent out once we saw movement in other countries,” she said.
The government agreed to take refugees from the camp in May following negotiations between coalition parties the Liberal Party, the Christian Democrats and Solberg’s Conservatives.
But it was on condition that between 8 and 10 other countries made the same decision.
Seven countries have so far accepted refugees from the camp.
Solberg said the government now wished to initiate its decision despite the condition being as-yet unfulfilled.
“In that situation and with the chaos there is now, it’s important for us to act,” she said.
Germany encouraged other EU countries on Wednesday to also take refugees from Lesbos, AFP reports.
Several fires broke out at the camp on Tuesday night, resulting in evacuation of people living at the camp, which currently accommodates around 12,600 people. Its official capacity is 2,757.