Norway’s Preikestolen closed to visitors after fatality

The Local
The Local - [email protected] • 22 Jul, 2020 Updated Wed 22 Jul 2020 16:29 CEST
image alt text

Popular Norwegian landmark Preikestolen was closed all day on Wednesday.

As many as 300-400 people were turned away from a closed Preikestolen on Wednesday, NRK reports.

The closure was not caused by overcrowding – a recent problem at the location – but because of an operation to recover a body from the area. The trail leading to the top of the cliff was closed for as long as the operation was ongoing.

The path was also closed for around two hours on Tuesday.

“It is a little uncertain how long this will take,” operation leader John Ask of the Southwest police district told NRK.

Police tweeted on Tuesday that efforts to recover a body from the area had not been successful and would resume Wednesday. A follow-up tweet early on Wednesday confirmed the area remained closed.

Preikestolen Foundation, an NGO which manages crowd flow on the trail at Preikestolen, said up to 300-400 tourists had been forced to turn around due to the closure.

“Cars are coming constantly. Almost like on a normal day. A lot of foreign tourists, including from Denmark, have not received the message that Preikestolen is closed,” the organisation’s operational manager Jorunn Stokka told NRK.

 

More

Comments

The Local 2020/07/22 16:29

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also