SHARE
COPY LINK

BOMB THREAT

Danish fighter planes escort Ryanair flight to Oslo after bomb threat

A British national has been arrested following a bomb threat against a Ryanair flight from London to Oslo.

Danish fighter planes escort Ryanair flight to Oslo after bomb threat
Photo: Berit Roald/NTB/Ritzau Scanpix

Airport operator Avinor confirmed the presence of emergency response teams at Oslo Airport after a Ryanair flight received a bomb threat.

The flight, which was en route from London to Oslo, landed safely in the Norwegian capital.

“All passengers have left the aircraft and are on their way to the terminal by bus,” Avinor press contact Cathrine Framholt told Norwegian broadcaster NRK.

Following the threat, the Ryanair flight was escorted by Danish fighter aircraft to Oslo, where it was able to land.

A British national was arrested after the aircraft landed, Norwegian police have said. A bomb unit was investigating the aircraft, NRK reported at 3pm on Friday.

“Police have the situation under control and have arrested a 51-year-old man suspected of being behind the bomb threat,” police said in a statement, adding that the suspect was British.

Police said the passengers had been evacuated off the plane, which was being examined by the bomb squad.

 

Denmark’s military confirmed via Twitter that two F-16 aircraft were used to escort the passenger flight.

“Danish F-16s have broken the sound barrier over Jutland with a subsequent loud bang. The planes are providing support in connection with an emergency. No further comment at this time,” the Danish armed forces tweeted just after 12:30pm.

The incident is the second threat against a Ryanair flight this week. A service from Dublin to Krakow was diverted to London Stansted Airport after a note was found in the aircraft toilet claiming a bomb was on board, media including the BBC reported.

No suspicious objects were found and two men were arrested following that incident.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SAS

Copenhagen agency that made SAS ad targeted with ‘hoax’ bomb threat

Police in central Copenhagen have now re-opened a road in the city following a bomb threat against an advertising company. The alarm turned out to be false.

Copenhagen agency that made SAS ad targeted with 'hoax' bomb threat
Police bomb disposal responded to what appears to be a hoax threat in Copenhagen on Thursday. Photo: Ólafur Steinar Rye Gestsson/Ritzau Scanpix

The advertising company, & Co., received the bomb threat on Thursday morning via email.

Copenhagen Police subsequently blocked off Adelgade, where the firm is located, and later part of Gothersgade.

But the threat appears to have been an empty one.

Shortly before noon, Copenhagen Police confirmed on social media that the cordon of the area had been lifted after no bomb was found.

“This morning we investigated a building in Adelgade in the Inner City following a bomb threat to a company. We did not find anything of interest to police and are concluding work at the location,” Copenhagen Police tweeted.

The company in question, & Co., developed a video commercial for airline SAS which was subject of a fierce backlash on social media on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Why pulled SAS ad has reignited tired 'What is Scandinavian?' debate

After asking “What is truly Scandinavian?”, the video's narrator goes on to say the answer to that question is “absolutely nothing”.

Subsequently, the non-Scandinavian national origins of several things dear to the Nordics are pointed out: including democracy (Greece), rye bread (Turkey), open sandwiches (Netherlands), Danish pastries (Austria), liquorice (China), windmills (Persia), and both cycling and midsummer (Germany). 

The commercial was pulled from SAS’ Facebook and YouTube pages on Wednesday after a backlash from social media users and suspicions of a coordinated cyberattack against the company.

Since then, the airline has stated that it would re-release a “shorter and clearer” version of the video and said that the message of the campaign had been misunderstood.

Following the alert on Thursday morning, police were initially reported to be investigating “suspicious circumstances” in Adelgade. That this was in fact a bomb threat against an advertising company was confirmed subsequently.

“A company has received threats. I cannot go into further detail,” duty officer Henrik Brix said at 8:30am.

Several police patrol cars and a personnel van were sent to the scene. An ambulance and a fire truck were also at the location.

A bomb disposal unit in protective suits also arrived at Adelgade during the morning as police diverted the public from the area.

People who were evacuated from buildings in the area as a result of the incident can now return to their offices and apartments.

SHOW COMMENTS