SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Norwegian man sentenced to 16 years for abusing hundreds of boys

A Norwegian man was sentenced to 16 years in prison on Friday for the sexual abuse, including rape, of several hundred underage boys in what was described as the largest such case in the country's history.

Norwegian man sentenced to 16 years for abusing hundreds of boys
File photo: AFP

For several years the now 27-year-old posed as a young girl online, mainly calling himself Sandra, and used deception and threats to obtain sexual videos from some 460 boys, many under the age of 16.

However the charges against him, which included sexual abuse and rape, only concerned 270 of the victims.

The man, who was also a football referee, impersonated a young girl and promised sweets, smart phones, naked photos or sexual favours to lure his victims to send him videos — and in a few cases to meet him — and then demanded more by threatening to publish the videos.

The man admitted to some of the charges against him when he appeared before the Nedre Romerike District Court in the country's southeast.

The sentence is among the tougher handed out for sexual abuse in the Scandinavian country, in line with the prosecution's claim that it was “the largest case of sexual abuse in Norway”.

The man's lawyers simply pleaded for the most lenient sentence possible.

The perpetrator was first arrested in June 2016. But he was subsequently released, allowing him to continue his actions until his second arrest in October that year.

He was also ordered to pay 18.6 million Norwegian kroner (1.9 million euros) in compensation to his victims. 

CRIME

Norwegian police to remain armed with advice to postpone Pride events dropped 

Norwegian police will continue to be armed following a mass shooting in Oslo, but the advice for Pride events nationwide to be postponed has been scrapped, the Police Directorate announced Wednesday. 

Norwegian police to remain armed with advice to postpone Pride events dropped 

Police in Norway will continue to be armed for the foreseeable future, the Norwegian Police Directorate announced yesterday. 

It was announced that police in Norway be armed following a mass shooting in Oslo, which left two dead and 21 injured last week

Yesterday, Norway’s domestic intelligence and counter-terrorism service, PST, lowered the terrorist threat level from extraordinary to high- the second-highest level. 

“The threat level in Norway has changed from extraordinary, to high, according to PST. The danger of follow-up actions or inspired attacks means that the police will continue to be temporarily armed,” the Police Directorate wrote on its website

The police said that PST had widened the threat picture from LGBT groups to other broader targets. 

“PST maintains that LGBTQI + is still included in the target picture, but also people and events that are perceived to offend Islam, religious gatherings and uniformed personnel from the police and defence,” the police said on its website. 

Police also dropped the advice that Pride and LGBT events across the country be postponed. The recommendation was implemented due to a fear of copycat attacks from PST. 

Decisions on whether it was safe for events to go ahead would be made by local authorities going forward. 

“A national recommendation to postpone Pride events expires. The police districts will themselves make risk assessments related to individual events and handling of large crowds based on the overall threat picture and local conditions,” police director Benedicte Bjørnland said. 

SHOW COMMENTS