SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Bendtner apologises to Rosenborg amid allegations of taxi assault

Rosenborg striker Nicklas Bendtner apologised to the Norwegian club and their fans Tuesday after reports alleging he broke a taxi driver's jaw during a ruckus in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Bendtner apologises to Rosenborg amid allegations of taxi assault
Photo: Pedersen, Terje/Ritzau Scanpix

Bendtner, a former Arsenal player who has courted controversy off the pitch on several occasions, has been questioned by police amid an ongoing investigation.

The 30-year-old Dane appeared at a press conference on Tuesday admitting he had been involved in “a very unfortunate episode” that he failed “to avoid”.

“I was involved in a very unfortunate and very uncomfortable incident,” Bendtner said from Trondheim, where Rosenborg are based.

“I apologise to Rosenborg and to the fans for what happened. I'm sorry for not being able to avoid this situation despite my efforts to.”

According to Bendtner's lawyer, quoted by Danish agency Ritzau, the player has proclaimed his innocence. He was also backed on Instagram by his girlfriend Philine Roepstorff, who claimed the player acted in her defence.

Her statement was contradicted by the taxi company in question, which, through spokesman Rasmus Krochi, told the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet: “All the evidence has been submitted to the police, including video footage from the taxi.

“It doesn't correspond with what has been said.”

In 2013 Bendtner was arrested on charges of drink-driving, earning the player a fine and a two-year driving ban.

Although he has been given Rosenborg's backing, press reports claim the incident has seen Bendtner, currently sidelined with injury, lose four sponsorship contracts.

READ ALSO: Bendtner left out as Denmark announces 23-man World Cup squad

FOOTBALL

Nordic countries to launch joint bid to host 2027 World Cup

Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland want to jointly host the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2027.

Nordic countries to launch joint bid to host 2027 World Cup
Sweden players during this year's World Cup in France. Photo: Jean-Paul Pelissier/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix

The five Nordic nations want to share hosting duties for the 2027 edition of the World Cup finals and are to present the idea to the Nordic Council at a meeting in Stockholm on Tuesday, Danish football association DBU has confirmed.

FIFA is already positively disposed to joint bids for future finals tournaments, which has lent encouragement to the Nordic project, according to DBU's chairman Jesper Møller.

“We can see that support for women's football is here to stay, most recently at the (2019) World Cup in France, where matches were played in front of full stadiums and television viewers' interest was huge,” Møller said.

“A joint Nordic World Cup would not only ensure a fantastic experience for many football fans but will also strengthen important Nordic partnerships and community, and hopefully inspire many football-keen women and girls,” he continued.

“That's why support from the Nordic Council is important,” he added.

The Nordic Council (Nordisk Råd) is the official body for inter-parliamentary co-operation among the five Nordic countries and three territories of the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and the Åland Islands.

DBU is also looking into the possibility of hosting the 2025 European Championships in Denmark.

EDITOR'S PICKS: