Security in Oslo tightened after Nice attack

The Local
The Local - [email protected] • 15 Jul, 2016 Updated Fri 15 Jul 2016 11:48 CEST
image alt text

Targets of potential anti-French attacks in Oslo are being closely protected in the wake of Thursday night's deadly violence in Nice. No Norwegian victims of the attack have been reported.

Looking to move? Find your next rental apartment here.
France's ambassador to Norway Jean-François Dobelle told broadcaster NRK that he had contacted Oslo authorities to request extra security around the French embassy, the ambassador's residence and the French institute and school amongst other places.
 
At least 84 people died and 18 are reported injured after a truck drove into Bastille Day celebrations in the French Riviera city.
 
The embassy opened a book of condolence outside its entrance on Friday morning, and a number of messages have already been written and flowers laid. The building's tricolore was also lowered to half mast.
 
"I value the support of the Norwegian people and the Norwegian government," Dobelle said to NRK.
 
"Terror thrives on fanaticism, hate and ignorance. In my Bastille Day speech yesterday I named terror as one of the dangers faced by both our countries," the ambassador continued.
 
Norway's foreign minister Børge Brende said that the country condemned the Nice attack in "the strongest possible terms".
 
"My thoughts go to those affected and their loved ones. I have spoken to the French foreign minister [Jean-Marc Ayrault] and offered my condolences," Brende said to NRK.
 
 
The minister confirmed to thebroadcaster that no Norwegian casualties of the attack had been reported.

More

Comments

The Local 2016/07/15 11:48

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also