SHARE
COPY LINK
PARIS TERROR ATTACKS

CHARLIE HEBDO

Threat against Denmark and Norway reported

In the aftermath of the terror attacks in Paris, a French website reportedly carried a warning that Denmark and Norway would be next.

Threat against Denmark and Norway reported
In the midst of the dramatic week in France, a post on a French website allegedly warned that Denmark and Norway are the next targets. Photo: AFP/MARTIN BUREAU/Scanpix
Norwegian security police are investigating a terror threat against Denmark and Norway that was posted on a French website. 
 
Norway’s TV2 reported over the weekend that Norwegian officials are trying to determine the legitimacy of a post on a French site that stated that Denmark and Norway are the next targets for terrorists.
 
“We are aware of the threat and are now working on trying to clear up whether it is real,” Siv Alsén, a spokesperson for the Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) told Norway’s TV2
 
PST said that it receives terror tips every day but that most turn out to not be reliable. 
 
In July, PST reported that it had received "credible" intelligence of an impending terror attack.
 
The Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) said it could neither confirm nor deny the reported French threat.  
 
The threat was reportedly posted on a French website in the immediate aftermath of Wednesday’s brutal terror attack at the Paris offices of satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo. Twelve were killed in the attack, which was followed by two separate hostage situations on Friday. For all the latest on the situation in Paris, visit The Local France

MUHAMMAD

Rights group slams Facebook for Muhammad weekly censorship

Rights group Reporters Without Borders slammed Facebook on Friday for threatening to terminate the account of a French weekly whose offices were firebombed after publishing images of the Muslim prophet Muhammad.

RSF noted with irony that Charlie Hebdo's staff could no longer edit comments on its Facebook "wall", including those inciting violence, while the "enemies of freedom of expression" could continue to post hate messages.

"Facebook has just discovered opportunely that Charlie Hebdo 'is not a real person', something that breaks the site's rules," RSF said in a statement, citing a message in French from Facebook.

"The content that you have published on Facebook has been deleted for breaking (Facebook) rules. Postings with graphic, sexually explicit or excessively revealing content are banned," it quoted Facebook as saying.

"This message is a warning. Another infraction will result in the account being terminated."

Charlie Hebdo — which on Wednesday published a special Arab Spring edition with Muhammad on the cover as "guest editor" saying: "100 lashes if you don't die of laughter!" — has the offending cover as its Facebook profile picture.

"We can only regret a position that says the enemies of freedom of expression are right and which leaves us perplexed as to the social network's real motives for closing the account," RSF said.

"The newspaper can no longer either add or block outside comments, be they hateful or threatening, as the page's administrator cannot deactivate outside contributions," RSF said.

"It is extremely worrying to notice that the social network seems to fall on the side of censorship and restricting the freedom to inform," RSF said, noting that Facebook had already closed the pages of several dissidents.

Facebook shut down the page of Michael Anti because it was a pseudonym of Chinese political blogger Jing Zhao, while the Facebook group "We are all Khaled Said", named after an Egyptian blogger killed by security forces, was closed because the group's administrators didn't use their real names.

"If Facebook closes Charlie Hebdo's page it would have far-reaching consequences for journalists, bloggers or internet activists, who may in future censor themselves," RSF said.

SHOW COMMENTS