Israel shuts Dr Gilbert out from Gaza for life
A Norwegian doctor, Mads Gilbert, has been hit with a lifetime ban from entering Gaza by the Israeli government.
Israeli authorities cited security reasons for shutting Doctor Gilbert out from the Gaza Strip.
The Norwegian 67-year-old has travelled to and from Gaza to treat Palestinians. This summer, the chief physician who lives and works in northern Norway, was back working at Shifa hospital, Gaza, where he spend more than 50 days treating many of the 11,000 injured.
The doctor was attempting to return to the region in October to help in the hospital and was stopped by Israeli officials from entering.
- Born in Oslo, 1947.
- Head physician specializing in anesthesiology at University Hospital of North Norway.
- Over 30 years working in international conflict areas, especially Gaza.
- Awards include Fritt Ords Honorary Prize (2009).
- Appointed Commander to the Order of St Olaf (2013).
- Received PhD at University of Iowa.