Five people eat deadly mushrooms in Norway

Share this article

Photo: European destroying angel, Amanita virosa Shutterstock
10:39 CEST+02:00
Five people are seriously ill after eating poisonous mushrooms on Friday.

The five were admitted to Gjøvik hospital, central Norway, after consuming the potentially lethal “European destroying angel” fungus.

The patients received an antidote at the hospital, but three of the five were flown to Ullevål university hospital as their condition worsened.

Doctor Even Reinertsen said to Oppland Arbeiderblad: “Patients are sent to Ullevål when we suspect danger of serious complications, which for example could demand organ transplant.”
“It's too early to say anything [about the condition of the patients]. What's special about the 'European destroying angel' is that the initial symptoms may reduce and everything seem to pass. But then the serious symptoms can strike again. That is why we say we have to wait for six days, before we are certain about its development.”
The "European destroying angel" is highly poisonous and even small doses can be lethal. The poison first strikes the liver during fungal poisoning. This is followed by acute poisoning in the stomach and intestines.
Ingrid Beate Hagset at the Poison Central in Norway informed VG: “For an adult person, a half to one whole mushroom can be lethal.”
Story continues below…
Six to twelve hours after digesting the "European destroying angel", the body will react with convulsions, stomach pain and diahorrea.
Hagset said: “After one to four days, the damage to the liver also spreads to develop damage to the kidneys.”

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles