UK-Norway ferry not yet ready
A British company's plans to restart the ferry between Newcastle, Bergen and Stavanger have been postponed indefinitely, with sources close to the company saying that services will not begin by the start-date of April 14.
Essex-based Norwegian Seaways announced plans to restart the route on April 2014 at the Logistics Day 2013 conference in Stavanger in November.
"Norway is a wonderful destination for Brits," Peter Iles, Norwegian Seaways' chief commercial officer said at the time. "We will cooperate with the Norwegian tourism authorities to extend the season. We aim to launch Norway as a destination for skiers."
But English language web news service The Foreigner on Friday reported that the its sources believed that the April 2014 deadline would not be met, and could not confirm a new date.
Paul Woodbury, the company's chief operating officer, told DriveEurope earlier this year that the company had yet to raise sufficient funds to set a start date for the service.
“Raising the full capital required for a quality, compliant and sustainable ferry operation is the loadstar and whilst we are pleased to have made progress to date, until fully funded it would be inappropriate to comment further.” he said.