Breivik hugged his mother before she died

Norwegian killer Anders Breivik hugged his mother and apologised for ruining her life a few days before she died of cancer this March, according to a new book published on Thursday.

Breivik hugged his mother before she died
A family photo of the Breivik family, with Anders to the let and Wenche to the right
"The Mother: The story of Wenche Behring Breivik" is based on hours of interviews carried out with Breivik's mother by the journalist Marit Christensen. 
The book describes how, a few days before Wenche Behring Breivik died of cancer in March, she was taken to visit her son in prison. Unusually, the prison guards allowed Anders Breivik to come round the glass that had divided them on previous visits. 
He put his arms around her and hugged her. "Sorry that I have ruined your life," he whispered, according to Christensen.

According to the book, Wenche Breivik felt guilty and feared a revenge attack in the months after her son's attacks. 
"I hate him," she said of her son after she had been released from the psychiatric hospital which she was checked into immediately after learning of what her son has done. 
Anders Breivik lived with his mother in the five years leading up to his twin terror attacks, which left 77 people dead, and did much of the planning and preparation in her flat. 
However, according to the book, his mother never suspected anything, believing him when he explained the rifle and shotgun he had brought by claiming to have taken up hunting. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.