SHARE
COPY LINK

SEXUAL

Catholic Priest admits to abusing 15-year-old

A Catholic priest has admitted to abusing a 15-year-old girl in Bergen in the latest sex scandal to hit the church in Norway.

Catholic Priest admits to abusing 15-year-old
Bishop Bernt Eidsvig (left) with unconnected colleague - Catholic Church of Norway
 
Bishop Bernt Eidsvig told VG newspaper that the priest, who is not Norwegian, was "distraught" over what had happened during "a short period" this summer. 
 
"He admits to having had a sexual relationship with the girl. It lasted a little over a week," he said. 
 
Police in Bergen on Tuesday condemned the church for making the case public before they had had an opportunity to investigate it. 
 
"We would have liked to talk to the victim before the case became known in the media," Rigmor Isehaug of the Hordaland county police, told VG. "We think it is very sad that the church has alerted the media before the police has started its investigation." 
 
The Catholic church in Norway was rocked by scandal in 2010 when it emerged that a Georg Müller, a former Bishop of Trondheim, had sexually abused an altar boy at the start of the 1990s. 
 
The Church had been made aware of the incident, but had sought to hide it from the authorities. 
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

IMMIGRATION

Norway ex-minister charged with sexual abuse of asylum seekers

A former Norwegian cabinet minister was charged on Wednesday with sexually abusing three asylum seekers over a period of several years, prosecution authorities said.

Norway ex-minister charged with sexual abuse of asylum seekers
2008 file photo of Svein Ludvigsen. Photo: Stian Lysberg Solum / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Svein Ludvigsen, 72, was charged with one count of taking advantage of his position as regional governor, and one count of exploiting the asylum seekers' vulnerable situation, to abuse them sexually.
 
“The prosecution authorities have charged a former politician with the sexual abuse of three people,” prosecutor Tor Børge Nordmo said at a press conference.
 
The three are adults but much younger than Ludvigsen, and one of them suffers from a mild intellectual disability.
 
The events took place in his home, countryhouse, hotels and even at the governor's office in Tromso in northern Norway, between 2011 and 2017, according to the charges.
 
Before becoming regional governor, the former conservative politician held several high-ranking positions, including the post of fisheries minister from 2001 to 2005.
 
Ludvigsen, who was arrested in early 2018 and released from custody after five weeks, has denied the charges against him.