SHARE
COPY LINK

RAPE

Dubai rape victim eager to return home

The Norwegian rape victim felled for extra-marital sex in Dubai has said she can't wait "to go home to mum", following her pardon by Emirati authorities on Monday.

Dubai rape victim eager to return home
Dubai. File photo: Ann Törnkvist

Marte Deborah Dalelv received her exit visa on Tuesday, after being pardoned the day before when the 24-year-old said she would travel home to Norway as soon as her papers were ready.

"I'll leave as soon as I can, I want to go home to mum," she said. 

"The exit visa is a formality. We are her advisers and will help Marte until she has left the country," Norway's ambassador to the UAE  Åse Bjerke told NTB. 

Dalelv was working for an interior decoration firm in Dubai when the alleged rape occurred. She reported the incident on March 6th to Emirati authorities in Dubai, but they instead confiscated her passport and money and later went on to prosecute her in connection to the assault.

Last week, she was sentenced to 16 months in jail for having sex outside of marriage, for drinking alcohol, and for perjury.  

The verdict made headlines across the world, with Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten on Monday reporting that the emir in Dubai may have decided to pardon her in order to save the Emirate's standing as a holiday destination. 

"Dubai and the other emirates are an oil state, which is strongly integrated in the world economy. That's why the leaders are concerned with the country's reputation," Bergen University professor Knut S. Vikør told the paper.

"The courts are less concerned about (Dubai's reputation). As Dalelv has been first convicted, then pardoned, means that both parts have had their say," he added. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CHESS

Carlsen sets sights on triple chess crown

Norwegian chess phenomenon Magnus Carlsen has announced a new goal: to simultaneously hold the world chess titles in classical chess, rapid chess, and blitz chess.

Carlsen sets sights on triple chess crown
Magnus Karlsen (left) playing India's Anand Viswanathan at the world championships last year. Photo: Scanpix Carls
The 23-year-old prodigy is now preparing for world championships in Rapid and Blitz chess, which will be held simultaneously in Dubai in mid June. 
 
In the 2012 championships, held in Kazakhstan, Carlsen won two silvers, after being beaten by Russia's Sergey Karjakin in Rapid Chess and by his countryman Alexander Brischuk in blitz. 
 
Viswanathan Anand, who Carlsen beat in a string of World Championship games last November, will also compete in Dubai. 
 
SHOW COMMENTS