"I can confirm that we have started the process to demand compensation for my client," lawyer Aase Karine Sigmond told the Aftenposten newspaper on Tuesday. "He has from the start been clear with not having anything to do with the incident, but that he had information that could help the investigation."
The suspected abduction and later murder of Sigrid Giskegjerde Schjetne, 16, has kept Norway on edge. She disappeared from the Østensjø neighbourhood in Oslo on August 5th last year. Her body was found less than a month later on September 4th in a wooded area near the 65-year-old's workshop near Oppegård.
The 65-year-old and another suspect in his thirties were arrested on suspicion of being tied to her death that year, with the older suspect released in November 2012.
The prosecutor's office announced on Tuesday that a 38-year-old man would be charged for kidnapping and manslaughter.
"The chief prosecutor has decided that there is no ground for charging the 65-year-old. The charges have therefore been discarded due to lack of evidence," prosecutor's office spokeswoman Nina Prebe said at a press conference.
On Tuesday, the 65-year-old's lawyer underscored that he had lived with police restrictions for two and a half months, and had been questioned for some 100 hours in total.