Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Statoil announces large gas find in Tanzania

Share this article

Statoil announces large gas find in Tanzania
Statoil garage. Photo: Hakon Mosvold Larsen/Scanpix
15:12 CET+01:00
Norwegian oil group Statoil on Monday announced a large natural gas find with US partner ExxonMobil off Tanzania's coast, the third major discovery in a year by the two companies in the country.

The Tangawizi-1 well contained between 712 million and 1.07 billion barrels of oil equivalent (boe), bringing the total reserves of the block in question to between 2.67 and 3.03 billion boe, the Oslo-based company said in a statement.

It was located at a depth of 2,300 metres, 10 kilometres from the previous Zafarani and Lavani discoveries, which the company believes could hold recoverable reserves of up to 2.32 billion boe.

Statoil is the operator of the block on behalf of the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation and has a 65 percent stake in the license, with the remaining 35 percent held by ExxonMobil.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

From our sponsors

Change the world with a master's degree from Sweden's Linköping University

Master's students at world-leading Linköping University (LiU) aren't there simply to study. They solve real-world problems alongside experts in fields that can create a better tomorrow. Do you have what it takes to join them?