‘Sigrid had extensive head injuries’: police

The results of a preliminary autopsy report on the body of Norwegian teen Sigrid Giskegjerde Schetne have indicated that she sustained serious head injuries consistent with the theory that she was hit by a vehicle.

'Sigrid had extensive head injuries': police
Photo: NTB Scanpix

The report clearly indicated serious head injuries and broken ribs and the conclusion is made that the injuries were sustained by a heavy blow to the body.

Police however believe that the injuries were greater than that which could be expected from a collision with a car travelling at low speed in a quiet residential area, and are thus working on the theory that the girl was removed from the scene alive and killed at a later juncture.

Police confirmed on Thursday that the autopsy report had revealed no indication that the teenager was subjected to sexual assault.

According to a report in the Dagbladet daily, police have found a link between the garage where two suspects were arrested and the location where the girl was found in the woods.

The link is reported to be an "everyday item" which is expected to play a key role in the case against the men.

The two men, a 37-year-old from Ålesund and a 64-year-old from Vestby, were on Thursday remanded into custody for a further four weeks.

The court concluded that there are good grounds on which to suspect the 37-year-old for the killing, and that he can be shown to be linked to both the area where the 16-year-old went missing and the location she was found.

The 37-year-old's lawyer, John Christian Elden, however said on Thursday that the girl's death was probably an accident.

"What I can say is that I did not contest in court that that there is reasonable cause to suspect manslaughter," Elden said to TV2.

Both men deny the charges against them, claiming that they have alibis for the time she is believed to have gone missing.

Sigrid Giskegjerde Schetne disappeared on her way home from a friend's house at around midnight on Saturday August 4th, prompting a massive police and public search.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Two more arrested for suspected involvement in Oslo Pride shooting

Norwegian police said Monday they had arrested two alleged accomplices of the suspect in a June shooting that killed two people in Oslo on the sidelines of Pride celebrations.

Two more arrested for suspected involvement in Oslo Pride shooting

The two suspects were arrested on Sunday in Oslo suspected of “complicity in a terrorist act”, the Oslo police said in a statement.

One is a Somali man in his forties, the other a Norwegian in his thirties — both of them known to police. Their identities were not disclosed.

In the early hours of June 25, a man opened fire near a gay bar in central Oslo during celebrations linked to the city’s Pride festival.

The shooting killed two men, aged 54 and 60, and wounded 21 others. Immediately after the shooting, police arrested Zaniar Matapour, a
43-year-old Norwegian of Iranian origin, on suspicion of carrying out the attack.

The new arrests bring the number of people implicated in the attack to four, as Norwegian police announced last week they were seeking another suspect linked to the shooting.

On Friday, Oslo police announced that they had issued an international arrest warrant for Arfan Qadeer Bhatti, a 45-year-old Islamist with a prior conviction, who is also suspected of “complicity in a terrorist act”.

“The police still believes Bhatti is in Pakistan,” a country with which Norway has no extradition agreement, police said Monday.

“To ensure the best possible cooperation with the Pakistani authorities, we had Oslo police officers in Pakistan a short time ago,” it added.

According to police, they have not yet had direct contact with Arfan Bhatti but have spoken to his Norwegian lawyer, Svein Holden, and say they expect the legal proceedings in Pakistan to take time.