Breivik: I'm sorry I didn't kill more people

Share this article

18:44 CEST+02:00
Norway's mass-killer Anders Behring Breivik on Friday dismissed his sentence of 21 years by declaring the Oslo court "illegitimate", adding that he wanted to apologize to sympathizers for not killing more people.

Asked by the presiding judge whether he would appeal, he reiterated his earlier stance that "I do not recognise this court because you received your mandate from political parties that support multiculturalism."

He added, "I would like to end with a statement of regret. I would like to apologise to all militant nationalists in Norway and in Europe for not having killed more people," but he was cut off mid-sentence by presiding judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen who, visibly irritated, silenced his microphone.

"This is not the point to address anyone outside this courtroom," she said. 

"You have to address me. I asked you a question. I interpret you as saying that you take time to consider..."

"I do not take time to consider," Breivik shot back defiantly. After a brief chat, his defence lawyer confirmed that Breivik would not challenge his
sentence, spelling the end of the trial.

The rightwing extremist – who targeted the centre-left government and a Labour Party youth movement because of their support for multiculturalism –
had stressed before his microphone was cut: "In my view this sentence and judgement is illegitimate.

Story continues below…

"At the same time I cannot appeal against the judgement because by appealing I would legitimize the court," he said.

The man who killed 77 people last year in a bomb and shooting rampage told Arntzen and her panel: "You have sided with the multicultural majority in parliament."

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles