SHARE
COPY LINK

BREIVIK

Billion-dollar price tag for new government HQ

Construction on Norway's new government offices to replace those bombed by Anders Behring Breivik last year will take up to ten years and cost more than $1 billion, officials said on Wednesday.

Billion-dollar price tag for new government HQ
Government Administration Minister Rigmor Aasrud (Photo: Audun Braastad/Scanpix)

Building the new headquarters is expected to cost between 8 billion and 10 billion kroner ($1.35-$1.69 billion), Government Administration Minister Rigmor Aasrud told TV 2.

"These are just rough estimates for now," she said.

The new building is not expected to be completed before the early 2020s.

"It normally takes between eight and ten years to carry out such big projects," Aasrud said.

The government is to announce next year whether it will partially or completely tear down or repair the 17-storey building that houses the office of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and which was heavily damaged in the July 22nd 2011 blast.

Breivik took advantage of lax security outside the building and parked a van loaded with explosives at the foot of the office block, setting off a bomb that killed eight people.

The 33-year-old right-wing extremist then went to the island of Utøya, some 40 kilometers outside of Oslo, where he spent more than an hour gunning down 69 people attending a Labour Party youth camp.

Breivik has been charged with "acts of terror" and an Oslo district court is due to announce its verdict on Friday.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BREIVIK

Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
   
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
   
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
   
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
   
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
   
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
   
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
   
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.