SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIMINAL

Facebook assists in search for missing teen

Social networking site Facebook has confirmed that it is assisted Oslo police in their inquiries into the disappearance of 16-year-old Sigrid Giskegjerde Schjetne, after initially refusing access to her account.

Facebook assists in search for missing teen
Photo: Scanpix
Norwegian police have previously claimed that the website had refused them access to her account. 
 
During a press briefing on the investigation into the missing girl, Oslo police inspector Hanne Kristin Rohde said investigators had "for the time being received a 'no' from Facebook regarding access and insight into her account."
 
She did not specify the reasons Facebook had given for the refusal, but said the social networking site had saved the content of the account and that police would submit a new request.
 
But Facebook told AFP in an emailed statement that the social networking site had been assisting police in the investigation.
 
"We've been cooperating with the police within a matter of minutes of them contacting us and are supplying them with further information relevant to the investigation," the statement said, without providing further details.
 
Sixteen-year-old Sigrid Giskegjerde Schjetne disappeared on her way home late Saturday. 
 
Her shoes and mobile phone were found near a kindergarten on the route between her friend's house and her home. There were also witness reports of hearing screams around the time she was reported missing.
 
The case has engaged Oslo this week with hundreds of volunteers collecting each day to assist police in the search. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SEXUAL

Parents in Norway jailed for incest

A Norwegian court Thursday sentenced a couple to 17 years in prison for violence, rape and incestuous relations with their three sons, calling it the country's worst sexual abuse case.

A 39-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man had been accused of physical and sexual violence over two years, from a very young age, against the two boys born of their union and the third boy from a previous relationship by the mother.

The boys now aged six, seven and 17 live with separate foster families.

The court in Øvre Romerike in southeast Norway based its guilty verdict on testimonies from the children given in some 20 hours of videos.

"Seeing the way the two little boys explain it, it is behaviour by their parents which they could not know and describe without having themselves been involved," said judge Karen Wendel Sandaa.

The boys said they were denied food, beaten and locked up nude in the basement, raped and made to abuse each other, in a room especially set up by their parents.

The couple moved the family 14 times to avoid being found out but social services finally intervened in 2011 after having been alerted about a possible case of abuse.

The two youngest boys were then placed in foster homes and talked about their ordeal.


The parents pleaded innocent to the charges saying the case was based on fabrications and misunderstandings. They have appealed the verdict.

"The prosecutor has called this case the most serious sexual abuse case ever examined by a Norwegian court. The court agrees," it said in its verdict.

Both parents were also ordered to pay 450,000 kroner (€60,000) to each of the three children.

SHOW COMMENTS