Police expand search for missing Sigrid, 16

Police in Oslo plan to deploy a helicopter and forensic detection dogs as the search continues for 16-year-old Sigrid Giskegjerdet Schjetne who was reported missing on Saturday night.

Police expand search for missing Sigrid, 16
Photo: NTB Scanpix

Volunteers continued on Sunday night to help in the search for the Norwegian teen who was reported missing at 12.30am on Sunday. The search has been intensified further on Monday morning.

"We want to deploy forensic detection dogs which are going to follow the same route as the missing person took on Saturday night,"  said Oddleif Sveinungsen to the NTB news agency.

"We are also going to deploy a helicopter to span the same extended search area and along the beach. Crews from the Norwegian search and rescue dog association will search the parking area in  Østmarka," he said.

Divers were deployed in the water off Østensjøvannet on Sunday evening with the search called off at 10.30pm without result.

Sveinungsen said that further dives would be undertaken if new information makes it relevant.

Police reported that they have received more than 100 tips from the public in relation to the disappearance and have conducted a number of witness interviews, surveys and forensic investigations.  

Sigrid Giskegjerdet Schjetne was reported missing by her parents at 12.30am on Sunday, after she failed to arrive home after having been at a friend's house two kilometres away.

Police found the girl's shoes, mobile telephone and a sock near the teenager's home.

She is reported to have had contact with friends via sms while walking home and none reported any behaviour which was out of the ordinary. 

Local resident Anne-Mette Jørgensen Saethre has reported hearing a scream at around 12.30am near a children's daycare centre only 300 metres from the teenager's home.

"We heard a long, frenetic and scared scream… My daughter said it sounded like a painful cry," she told NTB.

 The teenager was wearing jeans shorts, blue jumper and grey singlet when she disappeared. She is 16-years-old, 170 centimetres tall and has light brown hair and blue eyes.

Police have called for anyone who was in the vicinity of Skøyenåsen between 11.30pm and 1am to get in contact by calling 02800.

The girl's family have let it be known that anyone willing to help in the search can meet at 10am on Monday at Østensjø school.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Parents in Norway jailed for incest

A Norwegian court Thursday sentenced a couple to 17 years in prison for violence, rape and incestuous relations with their three sons, calling it the country's worst sexual abuse case.

A 39-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man had been accused of physical and sexual violence over two years, from a very young age, against the two boys born of their union and the third boy from a previous relationship by the mother.

The boys now aged six, seven and 17 live with separate foster families.

The court in Øvre Romerike in southeast Norway based its guilty verdict on testimonies from the children given in some 20 hours of videos.

"Seeing the way the two little boys explain it, it is behaviour by their parents which they could not know and describe without having themselves been involved," said judge Karen Wendel Sandaa.

The boys said they were denied food, beaten and locked up nude in the basement, raped and made to abuse each other, in a room especially set up by their parents.

The couple moved the family 14 times to avoid being found out but social services finally intervened in 2011 after having been alerted about a possible case of abuse.

The two youngest boys were then placed in foster homes and talked about their ordeal.

The parents pleaded innocent to the charges saying the case was based on fabrications and misunderstandings. They have appealed the verdict.

"The prosecutor has called this case the most serious sexual abuse case ever examined by a Norwegian court. The court agrees," it said in its verdict.

Both parents were also ordered to pay 450,000 kroner (€60,000) to each of the three children.