Cops put drugs bust on hold for snack break

Amid a flurry of sirens and flashing blue lights, two Norwegian police officers pulled in to a petrol station on Friday evening to stock up on refreshments before speeding away again to hone in on their target.

Cops put drugs bust on hold for snack break
File photo: Heiko Junge/Scanpix (File)

The police car overtook a number of vehicles as it zipped along the road from Mo to Ytteren in northern Norway shortly after 9pm on Friday, newspaper Ranablad reports.

Curious onlookers were dumbfounded however when the squad car peeled off into the local Esso station after reaching the roundabout at Ytteren.

Two officers were spotted clambering out of the car and sauntering into the store. One of them was then observed clutching two fizzy drink bottles before the car accelerated away, again with its sirens wailing and lights flashing.

Roald Bjerkadal, head of the Mo police station, revealed that the thirsty officers had also made sure to grab a bite to eat.  

“We were about to crack a narcotics case, and the operations centre requested a patrol to quickly make its way to a built-up area 30 or 40 kilometres outside Mo in Rana,” he told newspaper VG.

“It was in connection with this that the police officers stopped and bought food and drink because they thought the operation might take a while,” said Bjerkadal.

While their superiors had since told them off over the incident, the officers did not break any formal rules and will not be formally reprimanded, Bjerkadal said, adding that it "shouldn't have happened".

“To the general public, it might look stupid and in that sense it’s unfortunate. It affects people’s trust in us when we ask for a clear route.”

But despite the snack break, Bjerkadal was pleased to note that the operation had otherwise gone as planned. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Norwegian police end emergency carrying of arms

The temporary arming of all police in Norway, ordered after an attack in Kongsberg left five dead, ended on Friday morning. 

Police in Norway will no longer be armed after the temporary order was dropped. Pictured is a police van in Oslo.
Police in Norway will no longer be armed after the temporary order was dropped. Pictured is a police van in Oslo. Photo by David Hall on Flickr.

The order for all police in Norway to be armed following an attack in Kongsberg last week was lifted on Friday morning. 

The police said in a statement Friday that, based on the information it had received from police security service PST, there was no longer any basis for maintaining the national armament order. 

“Norwegian police are basically unarmed in daily service, with firearms being stored in police vehicles, and police can be armed in connection with specific missions when needed. In that sense, we are now moving to a normal situation,” Tone Vangen, emergency preparedness director for the police, said in a statement

The police had been armed since last Wednesday following the incident in Kongsberg where Danish citizen Espen Andersen Bråthen killed five with an undisclosed sharp object and shot at police with a bow and arrow.

During police questioning, Bråthen confessed to the killings and to wounding three others. 

Police said earlier this week that the victims were chosen at random. The Danish citizen was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Bråthen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

The 37-year-old had previously announced publicly that he had converted to Islam and police initially reported that there had been fears of radicalisation. 

But police later said that mental illness was to be considered the primary motive for the attack. 

 “As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt said to reporters earlier this week.