SHARE
COPY LINK

BREIVIK

Experts approve report declaring Breivik sane

A second psychiatric evaluation which found that Anders Behring Breivik is sane and accountable for killing 77 people in Norway's twin attacks last year, was approved by a panel of experts on Monday.

Experts approve report declaring Breivik sane
Photo: NTB scanpix

 

If confirmed, the Oslo district court will find itself in an unusual situation with two psychiatric examinations which each draw opposite conclusions but which both meet the proper quality requirements.
 
A first evaluation conducted last year by two court-appointed psychiatrists found Breivik, a 33-year-old rightwing extremist, to be psychotic, suffering from "paranoid schizophrenia".
 
That diagnosis would likely lead to Breivik being sentenced to a closed mental ward rather than prison.
 
But a second opinion, which the court ordered after the first one sparked a controversy, concluded that Breivik was sane enough to be held criminally responsible for his actions.
 
A panel of experts tasked with verifying the quality of the evaluations had approved the findings of the first exam, but last month asked the authors of the second opinion to provide supplementary information.
 
The panel said that in the second report, the two psychiatrists had not sufficiently taken into account the fact that Breivik may have adjusted his behaviour and remarks so as to be found sane, which he wants.
 
According to Norwegian media, the panel of experts have now approved the second opinion as valid after having received the additional information, though they have asked the two psychiatrists to answer certain questions when they testify in court at the end of June.
 
The question of Breivik's sanity is a focal point of his trial.
 
Breivik wants to be found sane so that his 1,500-page Islamophobic manifesto is not considered the ravings of a lunatic.
 
On July 22nd, Breivik first set off a bomb near government offices in Oslo, killing eight people, before going to nearby Utoeya island where he killed 69 people, mostly teens, attending a Labour Party youth camp.
 
If he is found sane, he faces a 21-year jail term which could be extended indefinitely if he is still considered a threat to society. If he is found insane he could receive closed psychiatric care, possibly for life.
 
It will ultimately be up to the Oslo court judges to decide when they hand down their verdict in July.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BREIVIK

Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
   
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
   
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
   
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
   
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
   
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
   
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
   
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.