SHARE
COPY LINK

SHOOTING

Man shot in Oslo

A man was rushed to hospital in the early hours of Friday morning after being shot by "one or more assailants" in Oslo.

The man who is reported to be in his twenties was shot at Furuset in eastern Oslo with police receiving the call at around 1.23am. The man was then rushed to Oslo University hospital. 

"There were several shots fired in the area. The man who is shot is in his 20s. The extent of the injury is still unknown, but he was conscious when he arrived at the hospital," said Tore Solberg at Oslo police.

On Friday morning the man's condition was described as serious but not life-threatening and he is deemed to be stable.

Police had by 11am on Friday not apprehended anyone in connection with the shooting.

"We have no specific suspects yet," said Solberg.

"We have some witness descriptions of the perpetrators. We are now looking for clues at the scene and are interviewing witnesses. We also have several units out searching the area," he added.

Solberg told the Verdens Gang (VG) daily that the police remained in the dark over the events leading up to the shooting. According to witness statements the man could have been shot by one or more assailants.

"It is too early to say anything about the background of the shooting. We are now investigating the matter," Solberg told VG.

The shooting is reported to have taken place outdoors and there were a large number of people gathered at the location. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Norway mosque shooter charged with murder and terrorism

A 22-year-old Norwegian man accused of killing his step-sister before opening fire in a mosque near Oslo in August was charged with murder and terrorism on Monday, prosecutors said.

Norway mosque shooter charged with murder and terrorism
Philip Manshaus, centre, in court in Oslo in January. Photo: Vidar Ruud/NTB Scanpix/AFP

Philip Manshaus was arrested after opening fire in the Al-Noor mosque in the affluent Oslo suburb of Bærum on August 10th last year before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.

Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.

The body of his 17-year-old step-sister was later found in their home.

Adopted by his father's girlfriend, Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen was killed by four bullets, police said.

Police have previously said they believed the motive for the murder to be racist, saying he killed her because she was of Asian origin.

The charge sheet filed with the Asker and Bærum district court on Monday contained two charges.

One charge of murder for having killed his stepsister, and one charge of a “terrorist act” by attempting to kill with the “intention of creating severe fear in a population.”

The trial is expected to begin on May 7th.

Manshaus has previously admitted to the actions but has rejected the charges of murder and terrorism, claiming that it was a “kind of self-defence.”

On September 9th, at a court hearing to extend his detention in custody, Manshaus raised his arm in a Nazi salute to the assembled media.

Manshaus lawyer, Unni Fries, told broadcaster NRK that the charges did not come as a surprise.

“We are going to take a closer look at this and work towards the trial,” Fried said.

SHOW COMMENTS