SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Breivik’s tears flow on first day of trial

Norwegian gunman Anders Behring Breivik's tears in court Monday as prosecutors showed a film he made to explain his anti-Islam ideology were linked to his fears over an ongoing war in Europe, his lawyer said.

Breivik's tears flow on first day of trial
Photo: Heiko Junge/Scanpix

Breivik's main lawyer, Geir Lippestad, told reporters he appeared to have cried over his feelings that his attacks last July were "cruel but necessary … to save Europe from an ongoing war. Those were the feelings he was having."

The 33-year-old right-wing extremist showed little emotion during the first day of his trial even as the prosecution listed in detail how each of the 77 people he killed in twin attacks last July 22 died.

But when the prosecution showed his 12-minute film — a short version of the 1,500-page manifesto he posted online shortly before the attacks showing still shots with ideological messages set to music — his eyes briefly welled up and he wiped away tears.

Broadcaster TV2 Nyhetskanalen, which said it had used lip-reading to interpret a discussion between Breivik and another of his lawyers, Vibeke Hein Baere, after his tears, reported he confided to her that it was an "emotional film."

"It's OK, it's fine. It's just that it's an emotional film," he reportedly said.

At a press conference after the first trial day ended, Hein Baere refused to confirm the comments.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS