SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Breivik ‘regrets not going further’: lawyer

Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, whose trial for the killing of 77 people in Norway begins on Monday, plans to tell the court he regrets "not going further", his lawyer said on Tuesday.

Breivik 'regrets not going further': lawyer
Flowers outside Oslo Cathedral two days after the attacks (Photo: Berit Roald/Scanpix)

"This will be extremely difficult, an enormous challenge to listen to his explanations," Geir Lippestad told reporters. "He will not only defend (his actions) but will also lament, I think, not going further."

The 33-year-old right-wing extremist also said he was "pleased" with the results of a new psychiatric probe that found him sane and criminally responsible, contrary to a first official exam that concluded late last year that he was suffering from "paranoid schizophrenia" and therefore criminally insane.

"His first reaction was that he was pleased with the conclusion" of the new expert report, Lippestad told reporters after discussing the new findings with his client.

"He also said he was not surprised, that he had been expecting this conclusion," the lawyer added.

Breivik, who has said being sent to a psychiatric ward would be "worse than death", wants to be declared sane, according to his lawyers, so as not to damage the political message presented in his 1,500-page manifesto published online shortly before the twin July attacks.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS