SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

‘I played Warcraft with Norway killer’: survivor

A 17-year-old Norwegian boy who hid from Anders Behring Breivik during his island killing spree last summer has revealed that he once played World of Warcraft with the confessed mass killer.

'I played Warcraft with Norway killer': survivor
Photo: Jeremy Keith (File)

“It was a sickening feeling when I realized I had played for two or three hours with the man who tried to kill me,” Fred Ove Løtuft told local newspaper Bergens Tidende.

Løtuft took shelter behind the branches of a large tree for an hour and a half as Breivik gunned down 69 mostly young people at a summer camp for members of the Labour Party’s youth wing on the island of Utøya on July 22nd last year.

As Breivik launched an attack on the island’s café, Løtuft said he instinctively began to hunt for a secure hiding place.

“I’ve played a lot of shooting games where you have to get away and hide,” he said.

Sharing his hideout with a friend, the 17-year-old from the village of Byrkjelo in western Norway recalled hearing the rattle of Breivik’s equipment on several occasions as the killer passed by before continuing on his murderous rampage.

Much later, Løtuft was struck by the grisly realization that he and Breivik had come into contact with each other online three or four years ago as they played World of Warcraft together for several hours.

The 33-year-old Breivik, whose trial begins on April 16th, used the alias Andrew Berwick, the same name he used in the vast terrorist manifesto he released online the same day he set off a car bomb in Oslo, killing eight people, before proceeding to Utøya.

Passing himself off as a Finn, Breivik led a clan in World of Warcraft called the Knights Templar, Løtuft said. In his manifesto, Breivik claimed he belonged to an “anti-Jihad” terrorist organization of the same name.

Chatting to Breivik at the time, Løtuft said he had formed a positive impression of his fellow player.

“We only talked about the game. He didn’t seem like a guy who would run amok and gun down young people, to put it mildly,” Løtuft told Bergens Tidende.

In police questioning, Breivik has said he dedicated a year of his life to playing World of Warcraft as a “martyr’s gift” to himself.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS