SHARE
COPY LINK

TRAIN

Train driver charged over Norway crash

The driver of a train that derailed during a test run last Wednesday has been charged in connection with the crash that left five people injured.

Train driver charged over Norway crash
Photo: Peder Gjersøe/Scanpix

“We have charged one person because we have reasonable grounds for suspicion. The man we have charged has a role we would like to look at more closely,” prosecutor Hildefunn Mikkels told newspaper VG.

She underlined the importance for the police of a broad probe that would enable them to explore several lines of investigation.

The investigation has so far indicated that the crash resulted from human error rather than any fault with the train.

A report from the Accident Investigation Board Norway (AIBN) showed that the train was travelling at almost twice the speed limit at the time of the accident.

All five people on board were injured, none of them seriously, when the train derailed on a stretch of track between Nykirke and Holmstrand, south of Oslo. Having come off the rails, the train smashed into a telephone mast and a bank of rock.

The train was travelling at a speed of 135 kilometres per hour when the brakes were applied. The speed limit on that section of the track was 70 kilometres per hour, AIBN said.

The train was part of rail operator NSB's new Flirt (Fast Light Innovative Regional Train) fleet, a model made by Swiss firm Stadler. The new trains had been scheduled to start running on regional and local networks across Norway from February 29th but the start date was postponed indefinitely after Wednesday’s accident.

NSB has ordered 50 Flirt trains from Stadler at a cost of 4.2 billion kroner ($730 million). The Norwegian operator also has an option to buy a further 100 trains.

Flirt trains can reach a maximum speed of 200 kilometres per hour.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TRAIN

Mette-Marit opens up on father’s alcoholism

Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit has opened up for the first time about her father's alcoholism, saying that it has been "one of the hardest things" in her life.

Mette-Marit opens up on father's alcoholism
Crown Princess Mette-Marit greets her subjects as the literary train arrives in Fauske on Tuesday. Photo: Lise Åserud / NTB Scanpix
"As a child I always felt that I had something I had to hide, because none of my friends knew my father was an alcoholic," she  told an audience in the town of Snåsa, when she stopped off during a train tour of Western Norway.   "I think that the joy I had in being able to disappear into the world of books was strengthened by that". 
 
Mette-Marit said that her father's alcoholism had made the first book of My Struggle by the Norwegian writer Karl Ove Knausgård, much of which deals with his own father's drinking, particularly poignant for her. 
 
"When Knausgård wrote about his dad, I saw that he wrote about mine," she said. "We used the same funeral home. I recognized the description of the rooms." 
 
"I quote The last sentence of the first volume of "My Struggle"  to myself often, at times daily." 
 
The Princess's literary train journey through West Norway began on Tuesday morning in Bodo on Tuesday morning and will end in Stjørdal on Wednesday afternoon.
 
The train company NSB has specially kitted out her train with a library, from which booth children and adults can borrow books. 
 
Mette-Marit's father, Sven Olaf Bjarte Høiby, a retired became a minor celebrity after her engagement to Crown Prince Harald, selling stories about her youth and son Marius to Norwegian tabloids. 
 
Høiby and Mette-Marit's mother Marit Tjessem divorced in 1984. He died in 2007, aged 70. 
 
Here is a picture of Sven Høiby, taken in 2002. 
 
SHOW COMMENTS