SHARE
COPY LINK
JULY TERROR ATTACKS

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Happy hunting on massacre island: teacher

A primary school teacher in a town in eastern Norway has outraged parents after posting Facebook messages in support of confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik.

Happy hunting on massacre island: teacher
Photo: Håkon Mosvold Larsen/Scanpix (File)

Many residents in the town of Ringsaker were also shocked to learn that 28-year-old Kjetil Wangen spends much of his leisure time making films that depict scenes of extreme violence and rape.

School leaders suspended the teacher this week when they became aware of his involvement in the amateur films.

Wangen's after-school activities came under the spotlight after a number of his acquaintances reacted furiously to recent status updates on Facebook, local newspaper Hamar Arbeiderblad reports.

In one message he referred to the cold-blooded fatal shootings of 69 mostly Labour Party youth wing (AUF) members on the island of Utøya last July:

“Hope the Labour Party sends more AUF members to Utøya in the coming year, and that this year yields another great hunting season out there.”

On Monday, shortly after Breivik appeared in court for a custody hearing ahead of his trial in April, the teacher wrote:

“The good man cuts a fine figure on television.”

Town councillor Jørn Strand said the municipality was seeking to resolve issues surrounding the teacher’s employment contract as quickly as possible. Wangen has been employed as a substitute teacher since the autumn.

Local police chief Stig Arlien said the police were monitoring the teacher’s activities, including his Facebook page.

“The material currently openly visible on his wall is absolutely within the limits [for freedom of speech],” said Arlien.

“But if we get access to remarks that breach the provisions of the penal code, we will follow them up. It’s clear that this man is not a suitable role model for primary school children.”

Pupils at Wangen’s school recently discovered that their teacher had directed and starred in a number of films involving brutal chainsaw murders and violent rape scenes, TV 2 reports.

Wangen however defended himself against charges that the films made him an unsuitable teacher, arguing it was up to parents to ensure their children didn’t see movies intended solely for adult viewing.

“In my view what I do in the classroom speaks for itself and what I do outside the school is something different,” he told TV 2.

Wangen has admitted to sympathizing with some of Anders Behring Breivik’s views on the perceived failure by politicians to successfully integrate immigrants, but said his Facebook comments were a form of extreme humour.

“I can understand from Breivik’s point of view how he saw the world and why he did what he did, but that doesn’t mean I think his actions were right,” Wangen told newspaper VG.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS