Guards ‘checking out Breivik van when bomb exploded’

Government security guards in Oslo were investigating the van that Anders Behring Breivik parked in the government quarter at the moment it exploded on 22nd July, it has emerged.

Guards 'checking out Breivik van when bomb exploded'

The guards at government security headquarters had trained their cameras on the Volkswagen van. They were in the process of checking its number plates when their screens turned black, according to Norwegian broadcaster NRK.

Two of the guards working on the day of the bombing have spoken publicly for the first time about the dramatic moments before, during and after the explosion five months ago.


"Our attention was drawn to a white van that was parked in front of Høyblokken [the prime minister's office]. The van was very close to the entrance, and we started checking it out with the cameras," said guard Tor-Inge Kristoffersen.


The guards started checking the van little more than a minute after Breivik parking it. They rewound the tape and saw a man dressed as a security guard leaving the car. They could not see from the tape where he went.


"Just as I zoomed in on the registration plate it was blown into the air. The camera I had been zooming with was destroyed and the screen went black. We lost half the cameras in the area, and the screens went black. The rest of the cameras showed pictures full of smoke," Kristoffersen said.


The security headquarters is located in the basement of Høybloken, just 20 metres from the site of the explosion. The headquarters was damaged in the attack, and damaged pipes caused water leaks from the ceiling. The guards wrapped their computer equipment in plastic to prevent damage and ensure that the important video footage was preserved.


Kristoffersen argued that the guards have been unfairly criticized in Norwegian media:


"People have said that security guards in the government quarter sat and watched an armed man without doing anything at all. That has been very hard to take. We were working the whole time, and we tried to find out where the attacker had gone. We weren't sitting on our hands, but we just didn't have time to do more than check the registration number," he said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.