SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Breivik writing a book in jail: lawyer

Anders Behring Breivik, the right-wing extremist behind the July 22nd massacre of 77 people, is in the process of writing a book from his prison cell, one of his lawyers has said.

Breivik writing a book in jail: lawyer
Photo: abcnyheter.no/Politiet

The 32-year-old confessed killer wants to explain why he plans to keep fighting against the multiculturalism he despises, lawyer Vibeke Hein Bæra told radio news show P4 Nyhetene.

“He’s writing about why he wants to continue his battle,” she said.

“It’s not yet known if he wants to call it a continuation of his manifesto or a book.”

This week saw the lifting of restrictions on Breivik, giving him access to the news media for the first time since his arrest.

“He has looked forward to orienting himself in what’s happeing in society. At the same time, his main focus for now is the text he’s writing,” said Hein Bæra.

Norwegian publishers told newspaper Aftenposten that Breivik would likely be able to find a company willing to put out his work.

“A publishing company is not meant to function as a censorship authority and none of the author’s opinions have anything to do with the publisher,” said Anders Heger from publisher Cappelen Damm.

“At the same time, Norwegian publishers don’t have a duty to publish. Personally, I’d have no hesitation in rejecting this, since I don’t see any reason to give him the opportunity of earning money from those awful events.”

A psychiatric report submitted to prosecutors concluded that Breivik suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. He is expected to be sentenced to closed psychiatric care after his trial, which begins in April 2012.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS