SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Norway killer pores over love letters

Confessed mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik has begun sifting through the hundreds of letters he has received since the July 22nd attacks that left 77 dead.

Police said the right-wing extremist had received 200 to 300 letters since he was jailed after the deadly killing spree.

“He’s having the letters delivered to him once we’re gone through them,” police lawyer Christian Hatlo told broadcaster TV2.

Breivik has received two batches of letters since the recent loosening of restrictions on his contact with the outside world.

The letters include a number of bills, TV2 reports, but the broadcaster also learned that the perpetrator of the July massacre had begun reading through the many love letters and hate mail he has received from Norway and abroad.

Postal and visitation restrictions mean the police are authorized to examine his letters in advance and remove any that may be deemed harmful to the ongoing investigation.

But while much of the correspondence is of a threatening nature, Brevik also has his share of romantic admirers, as well as would-be pen friends offering religious redemption, TV2 reports.

Starting on Monday, Breivik will also be permitted to watch television, listen to the radio, and read newspapers.

Breivik is expected to be sentenced to psychiatric care after prosecutors last week declared him criminally insane. A report submitted by expert psychologists found that Breivik suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.

The controversial findings have divided opinion. Writing in newspaper Dagens Nyheter on Wednesday, Swedish professor of psychiatry Johan Cullberg described the report as “objectionable, unprofessional, and lacking in imagination.”

Breivik’s dual attacks primarily targeted Norway’s Labour Party, a group he said promoted the multiculturalism he despised.

A car bomb outside government buildings in Oslo killed eight people before Breivik gunned down a further 69 on the nearby island of Utøya, where members of the Labour Party’s youth wing were attending a summer camp.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS