SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Psychiatrists submit report on Breivik

Psychiatrists submitted a report to the Oslo court Tuesday on the mental state of the gunman who killed 77 people in twin attacks in Norway in July, but their conclusions were not immediately disclosed.

If the two experts deem that 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik was sane and in control of his actions, the right-wing extremist risks a long prison sentence.

If not, he will be sentenced to psychiatric care.

One of the psychiatrists, Torgeir Husby, said as he dropped off the report at the courthouse that the evaluation presented a clear assessment of Behring Breivik's mental state.

"We have no doubt when it comes to our conclusions," he told hordes of reporters.

The prosecutor's office is scheduled to present the main outlines of the 240-page report at a press conference at 1pm (1200 GMT) on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, a social welfare inquiry into Anders Behring Breivik's family situation conducted 28 years ago when he was four years old hinted he may have been sexually abused, Norwegian public broadcaster NRK said quoting two independent sources.

That evaluation has no connection to the report submitted on Tuesday.

Behring Breivik is currently being held in a high-security prison near Oslo. His trial is scheduled to open on April 16th, 2012 and last for about 10 weeks.

The maximum prison sentence under Norwegian law for the type of attacks committed by Behring Breivik is 21 years, but he could stay behind bars longer if he is still considered a threat to society.

On July 22nd, Behring Breivik first set off a car bomb outside the government buildings in Oslo that house the offices of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, killing eight people.

After that, he went to the island of Utøya, some 40 kilometres northwest of Oslo, where, disguised as a police officer, he spent nearly an hour and a half methodically killing another 69 people, most of them teenagers.

Although he has confessed to the facts, Behring Breivik has refused to plead guilty, insisting his actions were "atrocious but necessary."

He has claimed to have been on a crusade against multiculturalism and the "Muslim invasion" of Europe.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS