SHARE
COPY LINK

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK

Breivik’s island massacre was plan B: lawyer

Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik went on his killing spree on Utøya island on July 22nd because a bomb he set off failed to demolish the prime minister's offices, his lawyer was quoted as saying on Friday.

"It was clearly the result of the explosion that led to his decision to go to Utøya," where hundreds of young people were gathered for a summer camp hosted by the ruling Labour Party's youth wing, defence attorney Geir Lippestad told the VG daily.

On July 22nd, Behring Breivik, who has claimed to have been on a crusade against multiculturalism and the "Muslim invasion" of Europe, first set off a car bomb outside the government buildings in Oslo that house the offices of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, killing eight people.

After that, he went to Utøya, some 40 kilometres northwest of Oslo, where, disguised as a police officer, he spent nearly an hour and a half methodically killing another 69 people, most of them teens.

According to VG, which gained access to transcripts of police interrogations of the confessed killer, Behring Breivik only decided to carry out the island massacre when he heard on the radio that the 17-floor government tower had not collapsed in the blast.

Police on Friday said it was "unfortunate" that the information had leaked out, and they were investigating to find the source of the leaks.

Lippestad meanwhile could not be immediately reached for comment.

Both police and the lawyer had in the past indicated that Behring Breivik had several specific targets in mind before he carried out his twin attacks, but have never revealed which ones.

According to VG though, the right-wing extremist had hoped to kill Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Støre, who had visited Utøya a day earlier, former prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, who was on the island just hours before the attacks, or the head of the Labour Party youth wing Eskil Pedersen.

His aim, according to the paper, was to grab one of these top politicians and execute him or her while giving a speech and filming his actions.

None of the three alleged targets, who are all members of the same party, were hurt in the attacks, since Støre and Brundtland had left the island and Pedersen managed to escape the carnage on a small ferry to the mainland.

On Monday, the Oslo district court ruled that Behring Breivik could remain in custody for another 12 weeks.

A new custody extension hearing will be held on February 6th, and his trial is set to begin on April 16th.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TERRORISM

Kongsberg attacker killed victims with ‘sharp object’

Norwegian police said Monday that the five victims of last week's attack were killed by a "sharp object" used by the suspect, not a bow and arrows.

The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident.
The Kongsberg attacker is said to have killed five people with sharp objects. Pictured is police tape from a separate incident. Photo by Søren Storm Hansen on Flickr.

“At some point he discarded or lost his bow and arrows,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters.

He said that during the attack on Wednesday the suspect killed “five people with a sharp object both in private addresses and in public spaces”.

Police, who had previously said that the suspect Espen Andersen Brathen was armed with a bow and arrows and two other weapons, did not specify the nature of the sharp weapons, adding that they were still interviewing witnesses.

“Everything points to the victims being selected at random,” Omholt said.

According to the police, more than 10 people were also shot at with arrows at the start of the attack, but none were killed with this weapon.

READ MORE: Norway police query Kongsberg attacker’s Muslim faith

During police questioning, Brathen has confessed to the killings and to wounding three others.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen has announced publicly that he is a convert to Islam and initially police reported that there had been fears of radicalisation.

He is however being kept in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation, which is necessary to determine whether Brathen can be held legally responsible for his actions.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” Omholt added.

On Saturday, police announced the identities of the five victims, four women and one man: Andrea Meyer, 52, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56, Liv Berit Borge, 75, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 and Gun Marith Madsen, 78.

SHOW COMMENTS