SHARE
COPY LINK

BREIVIK

Gunman’s father admits Breivik was abandoned

The 76-year-old father of Norway’s confessed mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik has said psychiatrists had recommended his four-year-old son be taken from the home he shared with his mother for his own benefit.

Breivik’s father, a retired Norwegian diplomat living in the south of France, said the psychiatric report compelled him to file to gain custody of his son, although men rarely won custody battles in Norway.

“In the (psychiatrist’s) report it said that if he remained with his mother he would be damaged by it,” Breivik’s father told newspaper VG. The paper also wrote that his mother had contacted children’s aid services for help with Breivik and his step-sister who was six years older.

Breivik’s mother emerged with custody although his parents had divorced when he was four. His busy father did not know a psychiatrist from children’s aid, or barnevernet, had been assessing the family.

In the days after the July 22nd Utøya massacre, news reports asserted Breivik’s father had abandoned him during his early teens after a spate of graffiti incidents. Breivik’s school mates turned on him around the same time.

The father addressed criticism that he abandoned Breivik by saying his teenage son had broken off contact between them. He admitted not having had contact with his son since 1995.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BREIVIK

Norway mosque shooter ‘has admitted the facts’: Police

A Norwegian man suspected of killing his step sister and opening fire in a mosque near Oslo last weekend, has admitted to the crimes though he has not officially entered a plea, police said on Friday.

Norway mosque shooter 'has admitted the facts': Police
Philip Manshaus appears in court on August 12. Photo: Cornelius Poppe / NTB Scanpix / AFP
Philip Manshaus, 21, was remanded in custody Monday, suspected of murder and a “terrorist act” that police say he filmed himself committing.
   
Answering police questions on Friday, “the suspect admits the facts but has not taken a formal position as to the charges,” Oslo police official Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said in a statement.
   
Manshaus is suspected of murdering his 17-year-old step sister Johanne Zhangjia Ihle-Hansen, before entering the Al-Noor mosque in an affluent Oslo suburb and opening fire before he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man.
   
Just three worshippers were in the mosque at the time, and there were no serious injuries.
   
Manshaus appeared in court this week with two black eyes and scrapes and bruises to his face, neck and hands.
   
Police have said he has “extreme right views” and “xenophobic positions” and that he had filmed the mosque attack with a camera mounted on a helmet. He had initially denied the accusations.
   
The incident came amid a rise in white supremacy attacks around the world, including the recent El Paso massacre in the United States.
   
Norway witnessed one of the worst-ever attacks by a rightwing extremist in July 2011, when Anders Behring Breivik, who said he feared a “Muslim invasion”, killed 77 people in a truck bomb blast near government offices in Oslo and a shooting spree at a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utøya.